Martin want’s to be back with the Yankees next year
by Matt S.
Russell Martin told Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York on Tuesday that he hopes to be back with the Yankees next season.
Martin signed with the Yankees last December after being non-tendered by the Dodgers and is arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter. “So either I’ll get offered a contract or I won’t get offered a contract,” said Martin. “It is the same situation I was in with the Dodgers last year. Now, it is up to the Yankees to make a decision. For me, I would like nothing more than to be here.” The 28-year-old backstop batted .237/.324/.408 with 18 homers, 65 RBI and a .732 OPS this season while throwing out 30 percent of would-be basestealers. If the Yankees retain him, he figures to earn around $6 million in arbitration. Jesus Montero likely won’t be a catcher in the long run and Austin Romine has caught just nine games in the majors, so it’s a pretty good bet he sticks around.