Daily Archives: March 20, 2012
For the first three innings the story revolved around Michael Pineda. He was scheduled to have a 75-80 pitch count which should have lasted about 5 innings. He needed 30+ to get out of the 1st inning. Pineda had fastball control issues, getting into multiple full counts before allowing a 2 run HR to Andrew McCutchen. The Yankees were able to back Pineda up and prevented him from getting the loss.
Mariano Rivera (2-0) came in and pitched for the Yankees in the 4th with another dazzling inning, Boone Logan was able to get out of a small jam by getting the double play (and ended the 5th Inning with Joe Girardi segment), Cory Wade allowed 1 run, Juan Cedeno had a scoreless inning, George Kontos had a scoreless inning & Branden Pinder had a scoreless 9th to seal the Yankees 9th Spring Training win of the season.
THE GOOD: Curtis Granderson made it on base all 4 times (2 hits, 2 walks), Russell Martin showed that a groin injury wasn’t going to stop him & Brett Gardner had a bunt base hit today, and if you didn’t see it boy it was a beauty. Also today, Andy Pettitte threw a 50 pitch bullpen session today and impressed everyone who was there, including pitching coach Larry Rotschild. Pettitte set his return to the Major Leagues to May 1, so pitchers in the rotation…beware.
THE BAD: Nick Swisher had to come out of the game after aggravating his right groin. Girardi said that Swisher will have 4-5 days off before coming into another game. Derek Jeter is not scheduled to play until Friday.
WHAT’S NEXT: The Yankees will take a trip to Pt. Charlotte where they will face the Tampa Bay Rays. The game is at 1:05pm on ESPN & MLB Network. Phil Hughes (who has been impressive all season) will make the start.
Lineup vs. Pirates
RHP Michael Pineda
— The Yankees are putting out almost their everyday lineup. One key person that’s missing: Derek Jeter. Jeter was scratched from the lineup today and now Joe Girardi believes that Jeter will now wait until Friday before he gets into a game.
— Today, Andy Pettitte was scheduled to arrive at Yankees camp to warm up and throw a bullpen session. He’ll address the media at 6pm today and he will get back his lucky #46!
— Also, the Yankees now have a replacement for YES Network correspondent Kim Jones. Meredith Marakovits will be the new YES Yankees Clubhouse reporter. Here’s a tweet from Kim Jones herself:
— Kimberly Jones (@YESKimJones) March 20, 2012
— Tonight’s game is on YES Network at 7pm so make sure to tune in!
Enjoy the game everyone!
I span the Yankee Blogs and give you the best from the past week. Here we go….
* An A-blog for A-Rod has a piece about Slade Heathcott being out till May. That’s sad. We recently interviewed him you can click the interview tab above to find that.
* Bleeding Yankee Blue asks if Granderson has a long term fit with the Yankees.
* Bronx Baseball Daily has an article about what scouts have thought about Banuelos this spring.
* It’s about the Money Stupid asks what about Nick Swisher?
* Lady Loves Pinstripes has the 2012 preview of the Boston Red Sox.
* New York Baseball Digest lists the stacked rotation of Empire State Yankees (AAA team).
* Pinstripe Alley compares the second baseman in the AL East.
* River Ave Blues is sorting out the rotation.
* Sliding into Home has an article about the Yankee fan stereotype.
* The Captain’s Blog is figuring out what to do with Freddy Garcia.
* The Greedy Pinstripes says don’t trade anybody.
* The Yankee Analysts asks how good is Dante Bichette Jr. We interviewed him as well. Again click the interview tab above to read that.
* Yanks Go Yard mentions that Yankee fans will be represented in the fan cave.