Daily Archives: July 17, 2012
About a couple of weeks ago, as the Philadelphia Phillies continued to fall hopelessly out of the playoff race, I thought about which of their players might be intriguing for the Yankees. Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels are good, but they both come with issues: Hamels would cost too much for a rental. Lee has a bad contract and has never shown a desire to pitch for the Yankees. However, Shane Victorino was a player who I thought fit what the Yankees needed perfectly. Then yesterday Jon Heyman reported that the Yankees are interested in Victorino, and right after that, it was reported that Brett Gardner had another setback and will go for yet another MRI. With Gardner potentially being done for the season, a trade for Victorino would be something I would endorse.
The Yankees are in a fantastic position up nine games in the AL East. Because of their position, they do not have to overspend for anybody at the trade deadline. If the Yankees were battling for a playoff spot I would feel differently, but they have their spot pretty much wrapped up. Anybody the Yankees can go out and acquire wouldn’t guarantee them a championship, so there is no reason to overpay. The Yankees can win a championship with this current team. Sure a guy like Cole Hamels would give them a better chance at a ring, but he guarantees them nothing but a playoff berth, which they already have. If you mortgage the future and don’t win the championship it is really bad for your organization.
However, there is nothing wrong with improving the team at the right price. With Gardner’s status looking extremely murky, an outfielder is the biggest need for the Yankees. The only other argument you can make is for starting pitching. Hiroki Kuroda, Phil Hughes, and Ivan Nova have all pitched solidly for about two months now give or take. CC Sabathia is coming back tonight and Andy Pettitte should be back by September. That is enough pitching to win in October in my opinion. However, they can definitely use another outfielder. Despite the grand slam from Raul Ibanez yesterday he hit only .162 in June and only has 3 HR’s since the start of June. He seems to be wearing down and it could be worse by October. Andruw Jones has been spectacular of late, but he is still only a platoon player. Getting Victorino would allow Ibanez and Jones to platoon the DH spot for October like they were supposed to originally, and it would improve the defense in left field greatly. Read the rest of this entry
* An A-blog for A-Rod asks if Kosuke Fukudome can help the Yankees?
* Bleeding Yankee Blue looks into the trouble with Bobby V with the Red Sox.
* Bronx Baseball Daily looks into if the Baltimore O’s are contenders or pretenders.
* Lady Loves Pinstripes has out the latest power rankings.
* Pinstripe Alley looks into Yankee prospect Corban Joseph’s plate progression.
* River Ave Blues writes that the Yank’s offense is quietly streaking towards history.
* The Captain’s Blog writes that spoiled Yankees fans refuse to spare the rod with Alex Rodriguez.
* The Greedy Pinstripes look into extending Cano & Granderson.
* The Yankee Analysts look into trading with the Cubs.
* Yanks Go Yard writes about how Garcia got his mediocre groove back.