Broken Hand for ARod
Alex Rodriguez got drilled by a Felix Rodriguez pitch tonight in the 8th inning and was in serious pain. X-Rays revealed he has a non-displaced fracture of the fifth metacarpal in his left hand. No timetable for his return will be known until he sees doctors in New York today. However, Eric Chavez said he had the same injury and was out for 8 weeks. If that is accurate, he’d be looking at a late September return which is obviously terrible news. Minor league seasons would be over so there would be no rehab games to prepare and I highly doubt he would be 100% for the post-season.
Chavez is the immediate choice to replace Alex and the Yanks also have Laynce Nix who could platoon with Chavez. However, Chavez has been playing a lot more than planned already and has been very injury prone his whole career. Thus, it would be risky to let the trade deadline pass without making a move to bolster the position. The internal options are as follows:
- Ramiro Pena – a total zero offensively hitting .253/.304/.320/.624 in AAA
- Brandon Laird – solid D with some pop but hitting .249/.310/.408/.718 in AAA with 10 HRs/25 doubles
- Eduardo Nunez – erratic D but good offensively. Just came off DL, has 6 minor lg games under his belt so could return soon however they have been using him at SS only. Has made 48 starts at 3B in MLB with 9 errors for a brutal .920 Fielding%
- Kevin Russo – AAA OF/2B/3B hitting .302/.365/.365/.731 could provide depth as a utility player
- Ronier Mustelier – Ripping the ball in AAA but he’s been on the Disabled List, not sure when he’ll return
- Corban Joseph & David Adams can both hit but are mediocre defensive Second Baseman who played 3B sparingly in A ball
On the trade market, Hanley Ramirez was just dealt to the Dodgers so the biggest name is Chase Headley who has drawn a lot of interest and would cost several prospects. I really like Headley and he could be the 3B for the future for the Yank with ARod moving to DH next yr. Headley also plays OF so he could play some LF/RF is ARod does come back healthy soon. But I don’t think Cashman will be that bold. Placido Polanco may be available but his offensive numbers have really gone down the last 2 years. Marco Scutaro makes some sense as he could be a Utility Infielder/backup SS also but he hasn’t played 3B since 2008.
Headley is the best 3B on the market with a 121 OPS+ this year and it jumps to 143 away from pitchers-paradise PetCo. He’s a switch-hitting 28-yr old under team control through 2014 and is a career .300 hitter away from PetCo so would likely cost 1 premium prospect to headline a package.