Daily Archives: July 31, 2012
Good evening everybody. Here is tonight’s lineup:
Derek Jeter DH
Curtis Granderson CF
Robinson Cano 2B
Nick Swisher 1B
Raul Ibanez LF
Eric Chavez 3B
Ichiro Suzuki RF
Russell Martin C
Ramiro Pena SS
Ivan Nova P
-The Yankees received good news on Mark Teixeira today. He was diagnosed with inflammation in his wrist and will be re-evaluated in 3 days.
According to Joel Sherman, the Yankees have traded RHP Chad Qualls to the Pirates for 3B/1B Casey McGehee. In 293 PA this year, the right-handed McGehee has hit .230/.297/.377. He will be beneficial as another right-handed bat in an otherwise heavily left-handed roster with the injuries to Alex Rodriguez and Mark Teixeira. This year against left-handers, McGehee has a very strong 119 wRC+, a .348 wOBA, and a .807 OPS. He also brings a lot of value as a pinch hitter with a line of .292/.382/.542 coming off the bench in his career which is rather impressive. McGehee plays both 3rd and 1st base so he can add some pop to the lineup at 1st base while Teixeira is out, and then he could probably platoon with Eric Chavez at 3rd with A-Rod out. Sherman also notes that the Pirates are giving the Yankees $225,000 of the $485,000 differential between the contracts of Qualls and McGehee.
Chad Qualls was going to be the odd man out of the bullpen anyway with Joba Chamberlain returning from the DL so this is a good move by Cashman to get some value out of the right-hander instead of simply sending him down or DFA’ing him. However, this trade doesn’t come without a negative side, as McGehee’s defense at third base is not anything to rave about. Also as William J. of The Captain’s Blog pointed out on Twitter, the trade makes the Yankees lineup even more suscepible to splits as McGehee is extremely weak against right-handed pitching (.222 AVG, .616 OPS, 67 wRC+ this year).
Joba will be activated tonight and will be a great piece to have in the bullpen as someone who can get both righties and lefties out.
* An A-blog for A-Rod has a nice article about Yankee stud prospects Gary Sanchez & Mason Williams.
* Bleeding Yankee Blue has some last minute trade options.
* Lady Loves Pinstripes has her latest power rankings.
* Pinstripe Alley takes a look at David Phelps and his pitch sequence.
* River Ave Blues takes a look at the “Year of the setback.”
* The Captain’s Blog takes a look at the Yankees stance with the trade deadline.
* The Yankee Analysts is thinking about the lineup without A-Rod in it.
* Yanks Go Yard has a good article about Mariano Rivera and 2013.